President Donald Trump announced Saturday that his administration had reached a deal with Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz following a call with Muslim leaders of Middle East countries and separately, with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed,” Trump said, citing Saudi Arabia, the U.A.E. and Jordan, among others. “Separately, I had a call with Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu, of Israel, which, likewise, went very well.”

Trump added, “Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly. In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened.”

Top U.S. officials involved in the talks included Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, Special Envoy Steve Witkoff, Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law, and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Dan Caine, according to a White House official granted anonymity to discuss sensitive details.

Trump described the tentative framework as a “Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE.” 

The high-level discussions came as Trump and his team searched for a way out of the impasse as Trump’s popularity and standing with fellow Republicans slipped. The president told Axios earlier on Saturday that he was “50-50” on whether to reach a deal with Iran or resume military strikes that were paused on April 8.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., a key Trump congressional ally, warned against agreeing to a deal that could wind up giving Iran the appearance of dominance.

“If a deal is struck to end the Iranian conflict because it is believed that the Strait of Hormuz cannot be protected from Iranian terrorism and Iran still possesses the capability to destroy major Gulf oil infrastructure, then Iran will be perceived as being a dominate force requiring a diplomatic solution,” Graham said in a social media post Saturday.

“It makes one wonder why the war started to begin with if these perceptions are accurate,” Graham said, adding, “It is important we get this right.”

“Either we reach a good deal or I’ll blow them to a thousand hells,” Trump told Axios earlier Saturday.

MS NOW spotted Vice President JD Vance’s motorcade arriving at the White House at 12:49 p.m. ET, pulling up along the West Executive Driveway. The president’s announcement of the tentative deal came just over three and-a-half hours later.

Trump changed his weekend plans in order to address his increasingly unpopular war, which has dragged down his approval ratings. He announced on Friday he would remain at the White House this weekend instead of traveling to his Bedminster golf club and said he would not attend the wedding of his son Donald Trump Jr., also happening this weekend, due to “circumstances pertaining to Government.”

Julianne McShane contributed to this report.

The post Trump announces ‘largely negotiated’ agreement with Iran appeared first on MS NOW.